Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baby's first trip to the ER


We had an eventful Saturday morning, to say the least. I woke up early to head off to a consignment sale at my church (which was awesome!). Got home around 10:30am to a happy little boy playing in the family room with his Daddy. He LOVED all the new books I found for him. We read them all a few times, and then he started climbing on the couch (his new thing these days). I had started reading a book that I had purchased for myself (What to Expect - the Toddler years), and was only keeping one eye on him versus my full attention.

That was all it took.

I was reading a sentence in the 18-month old chapter, when all of a sudden I heard Owen fall off the couch and hit his head. He immediately started wailing. I rushed over and picked him up and tried to calm him down. Then I saw the blood. Poor baby had cut his upper lip on the corner of the coffee table. Ben ran into the room and helped me to try to calm him down enough to look inside his mouth to see if his teeth were still there. (Thank God they were.) He just had hit his chin so that his bottom teeth cut into his upper lip.

We got the bleeding under control while calling the pediatrician who referred us to the Emergency Room. Ben and Owen were still in their jammies (they were having a relaxing Saturday morning), so I took Owen by myself to the hospital. In his pjs.

He had stopped crying and was doing okay on the way over, but his lip was so swollen and still bleeding a tiny bit. We had given him a dose of Motrin before leaving the house (as instructed by the pediatrician), so I was hoping that it would help with the swelling and pain. We got to the hospital within 15 minutes and I rushed him into the ER to check in.

Owen: "'Copter! 'Copter! 'Copter!" He was so happy to get to see a REAL helicopter right outside the ER entrance. It was definitely the highlight of the experience.

We waited for about 15 minutes and then finally got to see the doctor. She checked him out from head to toe and looked closely at the lip cut. She said he didn't need stitches and that since it was only on the lip and didn't extend out past the top of the lip, it would heal on its own in about 4-5 days. He needs to be on a soft food diet for the rest of today so that we don't irritate the cut, and she said it would be a good time for us to wean him off the paci cold-turkey. (I wasn't so sure about how he would feel about it, but she assured me that it wouldn't be that painful.)

We got home and had a quick lunch and then it was off to take a long nap. He went down at 1pm (without his paci) and is still sound asleep.

Stay tuned for pictures of the fat lip. (Hey, it's my job to document this stuff, right?)

2 comments:

Erin Hawk said...

mmrrrr - glad to hear he's doin ok...tough little man

Marti said...

Poor Owen!! Tell Ben that he wouldn't have been the first Daddy to show up in the er in pj's!! Erin cut her lip when she was not quite 2 and had 7 stitches inside and outside her lip! The worst part of that experience was when they put her in the papoose(straight jacket!)to stitch her up. Glad Owen didn't need to have that done:)