Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cheers to better health

Mike and Lindsey introduced us to juicing. They were introduced to it by our good friend Kenny and his girlfriend Ashley. This morning while Owen was at preschool, Vivi and I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond to buy a juicer. We got the Breville Juice Fountain Plus which came with a free DVD - Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dying - a documentary created by an Australian guy who turned his life around with the help of juicing. He did a 60-day juice fast (we are not doing that anytime soon, but maybe a shorter one in the future) and lost 100 pounds and was able to get off all his medication for the debilitating skin condition he was suffering with.
The main point of the film was that Americans are so hooked on processed food and sugars, that they have forgotten that fruits and vegetables are the best food available to us. In an effort to help Owen and his #2 issues, and also to feel better, I've decided to take processed foods out of our diet as much as possible. I'm sure we'll have occasions when we'll have to eat it, but if we can help it, I'd like us to focus on eating whole foods and whole grains.

 {Backdating: at Mike's recommendation, we also watched Food, Inc. and Fresh - two more documentaries about the industrialization of the food industry {both on Netflix}. What an eye opener - I had no idea. I wish we would have watched them when they came out back in 2008 and 2009. Please watch them if you haven't yet, and tell me if your eating habits don't change. I dare you.}

No comments: