Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sonoma - day 2

Happy Birthday Mom!!! Hope the grandkids are behaving for you.

We picked another five wineries for today and started off right after breakfast. (Nothing like a glass of wine at 10:15am!)

Schug was first - small, but nice wines.

Then we visited Cline. Clearly, I did a terrible job of picture-taking at the beginning of the day since I only had two pictures from the first two wineries. Cline was very busy - unfortunately we were there at the same time as a tour bus. But we liked their wines. Not enough to buy any though. Onward!

The third winery was Jacuzzi, which is owned by the Cline family. They had a huge room where they sold specialty olive oil and you could try any of the varieties so Ben and I started there. That was fun, but I was nervous about traveling with it, so we opted not to purchase any. Their tasting room was really big and we really liked their wines. I especially liked their dessert wine which I tasted in a chocolate shot glass - yum!

Next we went to Gloria Ferrar which is actually a champagnery. Again, I did not take enough pictures to justify the beautiful view from their patio. We enjoyed a glass of champagne and spiced almonds sitting out on the terrace. It was lovely.

Lastly, we picked Ravenswood since we recognized the name and wanted to see what their wines were like. I was a little freaked out by the "Caution - Rattlesnake Area" sign on the walk up to the tasting room. Luckily we didn't see any.

We chose a pizza spot for lunch and we almost had the restaurant to ourselves.

Another great afternoon for a nap. I had to wake Ben up so that we could pick someplace to go for dinner. We decided to head up to Healdsburg since we had heard so many great things about the Healdsburg Bar and Grill. We took the long way there, which ended up being very scenic. By the time we got there, we were starving. The food was amazing and I spotted a frozen yogurt place for dessert, so we did that too. The square was quiet, so it was a nice spot to enjoy our froyo. I didn't take many pictures tonight, but did snap this one of the froyo place - Snowbunny.
I called my mom to wish her a happy birthday and heard that they got an Elmo cake at Wegman's to celebrate. They had to convince Owen it wasn't his birthday. :)

It was the perfect way to wrap up our 2.5 days in Sonoma. We got back to the B&B, packed up, and set our alarms for tomorrow - we're heading home bright and early.

No comments: