Thursday, September 15, 2011

Taste test

I decided to try my hand at making cake pops for Owen's birthday party this coming weekend. Ben smartly suggested that I do a practice run. Thank goodness I took his advice. The first batch was definitely a learning experience.

To make them, you bake a cake then let it cool. You then use a fork to crumble up the cake and mix it with 1/2 can of frosting. (I did it the easy way by using store-bought cake mix and frosting, but you could of course make them from scratch and I'm sure the pops would come out even more delicious.) Once you get the cake and frosting formed into a dough, you then shape it into balls the size of a golf ball, put them on a cookie sheet, and pop them into the freezer for 20 minutes or so. Then you melt chocolate (I used candy melts from a craft store's cake decorating section) and dip the cake balls into it, sprinkle it with sprinkles, and let dry so the chocolate hardens.

Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, the cake balls kept breaking off the sticks, so I had to try to reform them into smaller balls. That helped, but I then found that I couldn't get them to dry standing upright, so I had to put them on a cookie sheet to try which flattened the top. Good thing for a trial run.

Owen was my taste-tester and I think the cake pops passed the test. :)

No comments: