Thursday, June 14, 2012

Blueberry pickin'

While Owen was at his summer camp today from 9am-2pm, Vivian and I drove out to the farm to get our share and to pick our bonus. This week the bonus was 2 pints of tart cherries, 1/2 pint of black raspberries and 1/2 pint of blueberries. We picked an additional pint of blueberries and I'm wishing we would have added one more to that since they were so awesome. It was my first time picking blueberries, and after trying them, I don't want to ever eat grocery store blueberries again ~ farm fresh ones are sooo much better!


We had a bit of a scare when we got home. I gave Vivi her lunch and as she was sitting in her highchair, I stepped out onto the deck to pick up two tomato plants which had been blown over. As I pulled the sliding door shut behind me, I heard the bar that locks it fall down and into place.

I was locked out.

I tried to open it for a minute, but it wasn't budging. I ran over to one neighbor, not home. Ran to another - not home either. I was starting to panic. Ran to another neighbor and the contractor who was working on their house answered the door since they weren't home. I asked him if I could borrow his phone and he said sure, he'd go get it. I asked him to meet me on the deck since I knew Vivi would be crying by then.

I was right. Poor baby was in tears. I calmed her down as I dialed Ben, knowing I probably wouldn't reach him since he's usually between offices in the afternoons. I left him a message and then also left a message on his cell. At this point I was thinking I'd have to wait for him to get the messages and come home to let us in.

Then I remembered that our neighbor directly across the street has our key. I didn't think she was home, since there was only one car in the driveway and I thought her girls were in summer camp this week. But I immediately ran over and rang the doorbell. I heard footsteps! Thank goodness their nanny was home with the kids. Got our key and ran into the house to console Vivi who was crying big tears by this point.

She had managed to finish her entire lunch though. That's my girl. :)

I thanked the contractor and we had just enough time to pick up Owen at 2pm. What an exhausting day it was.

No comments: