Okay, so hindsight is 20/20. But when you're in a hurry to feed a hungry toddler a snack, you don't usually think things through all the way. I'm sharing so that if you're reading this, you don't make the same mistake I did.
(You're probably a lot smarter than me about cooking in general, and most likely you wouldn't do this. Let alone give a toddler a hard-boiled egg as a snack. I mean, who does that? They are more of a breakfast food. In this case, I hope you at least get a good chuckle out of reading this post.)
In my own defense, I was trying to get her to try new foods. Plus, we were running low on good toddler-esque, healthy snacks. So I figured, while she munches away at the last of the Cheerios on her tray, I'll stick an egg in some water in a microwave-safe container (see, I thought part of it through, right?) and in 10 minutes I'd have a hard-boiled egg.
Five minutes into the 10 minutes I had set it for, it sounded like a gun went off in my kitchen. (And I know what guns sound like now when you shoot them. Check my Facebook profile if you didn't see me shooting guns in FL a few weeks ago.) My 15-year old GE Profile microwave oven shot open and out spewed the egg that it had exploded. Everywhere.
To make it even more fun, the house then smelled like burnt eggs. Yum.
I thought maybe it had died from all the excitement, and that maybe I'd get a new microwave/oven combo out of the deal. But alas, I was wrong again. The light bulb blew during the explosion, but my handy husband will likely be able to fix it.
When I told Ben about the incident during the kids' bathtime, he asked: "So is that why the kitchen was all clean when I got home?"
You learn something new everyday, don't ya? I guess I should stick to microwaving Ivory soap instead of eggs. Much cleaner.